Friday, September 23, 2011

Quickie Dessert

chef-hat

Hey guys, I am not sure if I am terribly late on this discovery so pardon me if I’m "late".  But as a mommy time is so scarce so making a recipe from scratch and not getting paid (lol) does not happen often.  Being a huge fan of pastelitos and guava I have been desperately looking for a quick fix to making some.  I am eager to announce: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!  For my non-Miamians, Cuban pastelitos, not to be mistaken for Puerto Rican pastelitos are likely the most delicious thing your mouth will ever taste.  If you’re diabetic I strongly urge you to NOT even both, these morsels are ALL about sugar and HIGH fructose. 

You can either use guava marmalade, or use a block of guava and a stick of butter and melt it- basically making your own marmalade.  If you’re going for the easiest quickest route just go with the marmalade, it is only like $1.50 a can and worth every bit!

I used a can of the ready to bake croissants, but I read that you can also use the biscuit cans. **If you can find them Pepperidge Farms makes Puff Pastry Sheets**

Just add the guava marmalade, do not put too much because when it bakes you will make a huge mess.  You really just have to play around with it. 

Just go ahead and roll up the croissants and follow the baking directions on the can.

While baking bring a cup of water to boil with 1/2 cup of confectioner’s sugar.  I placed a sliver of butter as well, but that's just the fatty in me.  Make sure to stir and not leave on heat too long, the sugar cannot burn!!!

Alrighty once the bread is out of the oven, with a pastry brush apply the sugar mixture on to the rolls.  How much you apply really is up to you and how sweet you want the rolls.  I like the make sure the entire roll is covered with the sugar to make it as closes to a true pastelito as possible.

guava

You can let them cool completely or eat them warm.  Regardless of your choice, there is sure to be party in your mouth!

-Your welcome :)

***also YES I have been M.I.A., I actually have like 3 posts that are incomplete I am hoping to finish tonight.

0 comments: