Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tomorrow I am just going to stay away from the news stations

It may sound all sorts of cheesy... but I am boycotting the news tomorrow. For no other reason than the fact that I do not want to hear any more sad news. Silly I know.

So I was not going to write about this, because I felt that there has been so much media coverage on it, that it would be an over kill. But due to the rest of the week I choose to include it as part of the rant. It started with Monday... the BIG announcement on Jon and Kate. Yes, it was basically common knowledge at this point of their problems. But being a married woman, I can only imagine the feeling of being caught in the middle of a failed marriage. And with 8 children stuck smack in the middle. And to imagine, have it all play out on national t.v. We some times forget that just because people are on t.v. or record music that they are people too. They deserve the right to some privacy. So yes, although I saw it coming I was pretty sad to hear that the divorce proceedings were started and that the funny duo would be parting ways.

Another sad moment, was the passing of Ed McMahon. True he was 86 years old, and rather sick from what I have read.. still saddening. I remember (very little) watching the Tonight Show back in the day before Johnny Carson retired. When we were little my parents would let us stay up late on Friday nights and that is one of the shows we would watch. Plus you know.. Publishers Clearing House! Hello... at one point who did not want Ed McMahon knocking on their door? Exactly.

Than came Ms. Farrah Fawcett. When her documentary played last month it brought me to tears. It really was such a somber feeling basically watching a person die a little each day. I cannot even begin to fathom what her husband and son must have gone through during her struggle with that terrible disease. True, she was not an "icon" from my generation... but who did not see or know about the infamous poster that likely hung in every young boys room in the 70s. I mean it was even hanging in Eric Foreman's room on That 70s Show.

Lastly... MJ. I suppose of all the news his passing was the least expected. True for the past couple of years he has been up to weird antics and through some turbulent issues. But at the end of the day, he really did inspire so much when it came to his music. I mean, from his beginnings with the Jackson 5 in the 70s which my parents discoed to. To P-Y-T! (which I absolutely LOVE), to selling the most albums EVER. Ok I don't care who you are, that is a monumental achievement. And stopping and thinking back as my brother and I discussed the whole ordeal... the first artists that we can remember are MJ and Madonna. I mean, people our age- thats what we got. And sadly today's generation really has not had any artist to stick like MJ or Madonna (but for the obvious reasons I will only mention MJ) So when I read their facebook statuses and stuff about who cares blah blah... it's really because they have nothing to compare him to. I guess you could say he is our Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon. My son will never really know Wacko Jacko. I know a lot of people will stop and say that no one really cared about Michael Jackson's life yesterday... but he does have three children, a (large) family and many friends and fans who held him dear to their heart that he left behind.

So the point of my blog was more to give my condolences. Condolences for the passing of a ten year marriage, that I cannot help but to think that indirectly the media had something to do with. My respects to a late night TV legend, who co hosted one of the longest running late night television shows. May one of the 70s angels now be in heaven and no longer suffer. And my condolences to the children, parents, brothers/ sisters, close friends and devote fans of the King of Pop. He gifted us his music, thank you.

0 comments: