Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentines and BBQs OH MY!


So my last post was basically a pity party all about how I was not loving my birthday. But you know... it happens. I think it is more so that I do not like getting older and older. However, I was comforted by my friends (only two are married) that at the ripe age of 27 I had a lot more than most.... I had a wonderful husband and healthy baby. So I quit my whining and made the best of it. I hear from Darlene that 27 is not all that bad and she feels more distinguished this year (lol).

Because I had moaned and groaned so much about my birthday and the few days that followed Omar wanted to make sure that Valentine's Day was nothing less than perfect. Since I had a cake to finish up, I woke up relatively earlier than usual. He packed up the little one and headed to the market while I finished up. By the time they arrived back home I was done with the cake and beginning to clean up and get dressed. Both of my perfect men whisked me away and took me on a picnic. I was nothing over the top, just nice and quaint. There were quite a few other couples at the park, but we managed to get our little corner nice and cozy. Set up a blanket, spread out all our food... and began to soak in the beautiful day. After our sandwiches, chips and cookies... we packed up our stuff and headed home. My mom took care of Omi while we headed out to the cliche of watching a movie on Valentine's Day. It had been quite a while since Omi and I had been out to the movies... I don't think we had been since before the baby was born. And yes, Omar picked the movie he KNEW I was dieing to watch, He's Just Not That Into You. I am a huge fan of the book, coincidentally I read it right before Omar came swaggering into my life. He proved the book right, and since than I have been trying to get my girlfriends to realize how true it is- but that is a whole nother post! By the way, great movie I loved it... and Omar thought it was good too (not the typical cheesy chick flick he had imagined). After our movie rendezvous we came home and napped for a bit.. we were both exhausted. And for dinner..... IHOP! Yeah I can imagine you must be thinking cheap and corny. But, there is some reasoning behind our IHOP dinner. First, everything is so crazy on Valentine's Day not to mention crowded and pricey. So a couple years back we decided we would sneak off to IHOP. No lines just Omar and I pretty much and it kinda takes us back to game days where the only thing open when the game was over was IHOP. We ended the evening in the hot tub just relaxing which was a treat as well... while abuela Lourdes looked after Omi. Such a treat, Valentine's day was definitely kind to me this year.


Since my birthday landed on a yucky Tuesday this year, and Saturday before was hectic and the Saturday after was Valentine's day.... we decided to have a BBQ on Sunday. Nothing too extravagant, just the usual people conjugating and playing dominoes. It was so funny, as I sat and mingled here and there it was brought up to me that my friends have been a part of my life since forever! With the exception of a few.... I have managed to stay close friends with the same folks I held close my high school years. Some I have known since kindergarten!!! It is amazing that we have all some how stuck together throughout the years. It really makes me quite sentimental... and yes now there is the power of facebook and myspace- but we stayed close even right after high school. Anabel left to fricking Germany! And D to LA... and well me I bounced around all over for a couple of years; but we always pick up right where we left out. That is so special to me. Thanks for coming out for another year guys... even though it said 26, we all know the truth.

0 comments: